What Is the Average Auto Accident Settlement Amount?
Car accidents can be frightening, painful, and expensive.
If you were in a car accident and the other driver was at fault, that driver should pay for all your financial losses and treatment needs.
You can recover that compensation in a trial award or in a negotiated settlement.
And if you choose to settle your case, you’ll need to know what your case is worth.
Do you want to give yourself the best chance of recovering maximum compensation in a settlement?
We take special care to understand your story so we can relentlessly pursue compensation on your behalf.
What Is the Average Settlement for a Car Accident in Pennsylvania?
You might be wondering, What is the average settlement for a car accident in Pennsylvania?
Unfortunately, averages are tough to calculate because many settlements are not reported, and any “average” would be incredibly misleading because all cases are unique.
Car accident cases can be worth anywhere from a few hundred dollars to millions. The amount you can expect to recover depends on the specific details of your case.
What Type of Compensation Does a Claimant Receive in a Car Accident?
Instead of taking a look at typical car accident settlement amounts, let’s look at what kinds of damages car crash victims are generally entitled to.
After a collision, you can receive the following categories of compensation:
- Economic damages that compensate you for your past, present, and future financial losses from the accident;
- Non-economic damages to pay you for your pain and suffering; and
- Punitive damages to punish an at-fault party whose misconduct was exceptionally egregious.
These damages can be difficult to recover (especially punitive damages), but a skilled attorney can help ensure you receive every type of compensation the law allows.
What Factors Affect the Amount of Compensation a Car Accident Victim Can Receive?
The amount of compensation depends on the facts of your case. The following factors can have a significant effect on the value of your case:
- The severity of your injuries (mental and physical);
- The types of short-term and long-term healthcare treatment you need;
- The length of time it takes to heal;
- Your permanent impairment level;
- Your wages;
- Your work history;
- Changes in your quality of life;
- The amount of pain you have suffered;
- The amount of damage to your vehicle or other personal property;
- Your accident-related, out-of-pocket expenses; and
- The nature of the at-fault party’s behavior.
After an accident, gather employment records, accident reports, wage records, healthcare reports, receipts, invoices, and witness information and present it to a knowledgeable attorney.
An experienced car accident attorney can review the information to give you an accurate estimate of your case’s worth.
How Long Do Car Accident Settlements Take?
You can settle a car accident case quickly, but that is rarely ideal.
Often, auto insurance companies make lowball settlement offers right away to avoid paying everything a case is worth.
You should not settle a car accident claim until you have a solid understanding of all of your present and future financial needs stemming from the crash.
Before settling, you should know the extent of the following:
- Your current and future treatment needs,
- Your final impairment after injury and how this will impact your quality of life,
- Your access to gainful employment in light of your impairment level, and
- The costs to repair or replace your personal property.
If you suffered a significant injury, complete healing could take a year or more. You also have to be mindful of the fact that you have only two years to file a lawsuit.
By speaking to a knowledgeable attorney, you can make sure you time the settlement of your case properly.
Rosen Justice Injury Lawyers Can Win You Everything You Deserve
When you are facing the aftermath of a car crash, you want an advocate who knows what they are doing and knows how to get results.
At Rosen Justice Injury Lawyers, you will find both. Our Philadelphia car accident attorneys have over 75 years of combined experience, and we have settled cases for millions.