What Should You Not Do After a Car Accident?
The things that you do after a car accident are critical to ensuring that you are treated fairly under the law. But did you also know that what you don’t do is equally important? Our Philadelphia personal injury attorney team knows that mistakes that you make when a crash occurs can impact your rights. Here are 5 things that you should not do after a car accident from our personal injury attorney near me team.
5 Things You Should Not Do After a Car Accident
When a car accident occurs, here are five things that you should avoid doing:
1. Saying that it was your fault – What you say can be used against you, even when it comes to car accidents. Saying that you’re sorry or that there was anything you could have done differently can make it easy for the insurance company and the other party to point fingers.
2. Leave the scene – The law requires you to stay at the scene of a car accident and provide information to others involved. Leaving the scene can not only get you in trouble with the law, but it may also be used against you when trying to sort out fault for the accident.
3. Panic – A car accident is a stressful event. There are things that you need to do like secure medical attention for injured parties, take photographs and gather witness information. If you panic after a car accident, it can be easy to miss these important steps that may be important later on.
4. Ignore signs of injury – Injuries after a car accident can be subtle. You may have serious injuries and not even know it. When you ignore even the slightest sign of injury, the damage may become worse. It can also prolong your suffering. Be sure to get medical attention even if there is a slight possibility that you have an injury.
5. Take the insurance company’s word for it – It’s the goal of the insurance company to resolve your case by paying as little as possible. If they tell you that you don’t have a case, or if they give you a low amount as a value for the case, you don’t have to accept their determination. You have the right to appeal. A personal injury attorney near me can assist you with evaluating your case.
Doing the right things after a car accident
When a car accident happens, there are things that you need to do like stop at the scene, get medical attention and identify those involved. You should also document the scene by taking photographs. Most of the mistakes that people make after a car accident involve panic and making unnecessary statements in the aftermath of the crash. When you work without a Philadelphia personal injury attorney, it’s all too easy to say the wrong things even if you have good intentions.
If you’re in a car accident, a personal injury law firm can assist you with the proper response. They can help you with addressing the insurance company, gathering witness statements and evaluating any settlement offers. Your car accident attorney team can ensure that you don’t do things you shouldn’t do so that you receive the compensation that you deserve.